Our Bennett/Simpson Roots

A Distinguished Heritage

Elda Simpson

ELDA SIMPSON (4 Aug 1915 – 18 Apr 1994) was born in Hooper, Weber County, Utah the daughter of James Edward Simpson and Alta Merle Flinders.

Elda married Jesse Allen Bennett 5 Apr 1935 in Ogden, Weber County, Utah.  Elda and Jesse had three children of record:

  • Colleen Bennett (4 Dec 1935)
  • Janice S. Bennett (23 Dec 1940)
  • Allen James Bennett (6 Mar 1951)

Elda and Jesse lived on their farm in West Point.  Elda died 18 Apr 1994 at age 78.  She is buried in the West Point City Cemetery, West Point, Davis County, Utah.

A Brief Hand-Written Life Sketch of Elda Simpson Bennett

In a small town named Hooper about half mile from the Lake bank, on August 4, 1915, I was born the second daughter of James Edward and Merle Flinders Simpson.  Being the second daughter was a disappointment as a boy was wanted plenty bad.

I was blessed September 5, 1915 by Willard Flinders, a grandfather.  They named me Elda (why, I never knew) as I had a cousin by the same name. My father didn’t seem to like the name for he began calling me “Tish” and it stuck until later years when I was married.

I don’t remember much about the first few years of my childhood, except starting school at the age of six, and in general having a good time with weakness being marbles.  My first teacher was Velma Manning Fisher.

When I was in the third grade, my baby sister was born making the total three girls and no boys, and the same getting scarlet fever and the measles.

On August 5, 1923, I was baptized by Elder George Fowers and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints by Bishop Thomas W. Read.

As the years went by and my brother never came, I became the boy of the family and milked and helped in the fields. At the age of ten years, I discovered to my disappointment there wasn’t a Santa Claus.

After that I began looking forward to being in the seventh grade so I could be in the student body and go to dances which were held at least once a month and was for students in the seventh, eighth, and ninth grades (and boy, what fun!). In the eighth grade, we played so many pranks on our teacher that we all had to apologize before he would give us our credits. It was embarrassing.

The next event which stands out in my memory was finishing the ninth grade and hating to leave Hooper School but thrilled at the thought of going to Ogden, to Weber High School.  But after two years, my interest turned other places and when the school year of 1931 began, I never started.  It has been one of my deepest regrets that I didn’t stick out that last year and graduate.

In September, 1932, I was asked to teach in the Hooper Primary.  I accepted this and worked until March 1934, when I was released to get married.  On April 5, I married Jesse Allen Bennett and after all the trimmings we moved to West Point. I would have moved back to Hooper if it had been possible.  But after awhile I became better acquainted and now I think it is a well place to live.

On December 4, 1935, my baby girl was born and at the time of her birth she had four grandparents, five great-grandparents, and one great-great-grandfather; 2 having died since then.  She was blessed in February 1936 by her great-grandfather George Riley Bennett and we gave her the name of Colleen Bennett.

On September 12, 1937, Superintendent Dora Davis and Counselor Verda Montgomery asked me to teach a class in Primary.  This I accepted and taught the Zion’s Boys and Girls for one year.  I then was promoted to 2nd Counselor which I am at the present time.

On August 8, 1939, I and husband, George Q. Bennett and his wife, Marvin and Julia Bennett left for a tour of the east visiting all the Church places of interest.  We went to Nauvoo where Joseph Smith was buried, where the temple was built, visited Carthage Jail where Joseph and Hyrum were martyred, went to the Joseph Smith home and went through it.  We walked through the Sacred Grove where Joseph went to pray.  We saw the Hill Cumorah where Joseph Smith received the plates from the Angel Moroni.  We visited Elder Anthon Montgomery in Lansing, Michigan and went with him to his Sunday School, which was very interesting.  We also visited aFirstBaptistChurchand there learned to appreciate our Church more than ever.  In Washington, D.C., we went through the White House and the Capital.  We went to the top of theWashingtonMonumentwhich is 50 stories high.  InNew York, we rode on a street car, elevated street car, the subway which is underground, a steamboat, and took a ferry to Manhattan Island to see the Statue of Liberty.  We visited the World’s Fair, which was nine square miles.  Next we went to Coney Island and theAtlantic Ocean.  We went from there to Niagara Falls and from there to Canada where a gallon of gas is six quarts instead of four.  We them rode 1800 miles in a car loaded on a truck.  All in all it was very educational.

I was home a month and a half when I was operated on October 6, 1939 for appendicitis.  And as Elon would say, “and from here who knows”.

Taken from a handwritten history by Elda Bennett.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: