Our Bennett/Simpson Roots

A Distinguished Heritage

Mary Ellen Pincock

MARY ELLEN PINCOCK (14 May 1816 – 20 Apr 1886) was born in Leyland, Lancashire, England the daughter of John Pincock and Mary Marsden.

Mary Ellen Pincock Bennett

Ellen married James Bennett 30 Jun 1833 in Chorley, Lancashire, England.  Ellen and James had 14 children of record:

  • Ann Bennett (5 Dec 1833 – 1834)
  • John Bennett (15 Dec 1834 – )
  • Mary Bennett (21 Jan 1837 – )
  • Thomas Bennett (7 Jan 1839 –  )
  • Hannah Bennett (10 Jan 1841 – 1847)
  • George Bennett (14 Mar 1843 – )
  • Ellen Bennett (21 Jul 1845 – )
  • Alice Bennett (5 May 1848 – )
  • James Parker Bennett (10 Feb 1850 – )
  • Elizabeth Bennett (15 Apr 1852 – )
  • William Henry Bennett (17 Jan 1854 – )
  • Charlotte Isabelle Bennett (7 Dec 1855 – 1864)
  • Martha Jane Bennett (12 Oct 1858 – )
  • Sarah Ann Bennett (22 Nov 1862 – )

Ellen died 18 Apr 1886.  She is buried in the Kaysville City Cemetery, Kaysville, Davis, Utah.

History of James and Ellen Pincock Bennett

The year of 1837 was one of trial and tribulation for the newly organized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Apostasy had broken into the ranks, and the feeling of opposition was so strong that people were in danger if they spoke in defense of the Church. It was evident that something must be done for the salvation of the Church. The answer came through the word of the Lord to Joseph Smith.

On Sunday, the 4th day of June, the Prophet approached Elder Heber C. Kimball in the Kirtland Temple and whispered to him, “Brother Heber, the Spirit of the Lord has whispered to me: “Let my servant Heber go to England and proclaim my Gospel, and open the door of salvation to that nation.” Elder Kimball was that day set apart for this great work in the British Isles, which was to be the first foreign mission of the Church.”

While the First Presidency were setting Elder Kimball apart, Orson Hyde of the Council of the Twelve asked in he might also have the privilege of assisting in that work. His offering was accepted and he was also set apart for the British labor.

On the 13tl’ of June, Elder Kimball and Elder Hyde, in company with Elder Willard Richards and Elder Joseph Fielding left Kirtland for their mission to the British Isles.

The inspiration of the Prophet to send elders to Great Britain for the salvation of the Church was proven. In the few months that followed, members were baptized by the thousands. Many of them emigrated and became stalwarts in the Church.

Among these stalwarts were James and Ellen Pincock Bennett. James was born on October 10, 1808 at Leyland, Lancashire, England. He was the son of Thomas and Ann Parker Bennett. On June 30, 1833, he married Ellen Pincock who was born May 14, 1816 to John and Mary Marsden Pincock.  After hearing the Gospel and being convinced of its truthfulness, James and Ellen Bennett were baptized on December 29,1837 at Euxton, Lancashire, England.  James was baptized by Heber C. Kimball and confirmed a member by Orson Hyde.

In 1841, James and Ellen Bennett with their four little children left their homeland to immigrate to Zion. (Their oldest child, Ann, had died in infancy.) They set sail on the ship “Sheffield” which sailed from Liverpool, England, on Sunday, February 1,1841 with 235 saints aboard under the leadership of Hirum Clark.   They spent thirteen weeks on the water.  The family settled in Nauvoo where he worked for three years on theMormon Temple.  He was a woodworker and wheelwright by trade.

James and ELlen Bennett received their endowments in the Nauvoo Temple on January 31, 1846 and four days later in the dead of winter, the Saints started their exodus from Nauvoo. Like the other Saints, they had gathered to Nauvoo for the sake of their religion and through faith and hard work and diligence had built beautiful homes there.  Without sale or lease for their homes they bade them goodbye and put their earthly belongings in one or two wagons and started for the West. They traveled the almost trackless prairies in 1846 for Carterville, Iowa (east of Bluff City).  Here he left his family almost without shelter to get provisions for them, taking nearly everything they had to trade for bread to eat. When he left, his wife was sick with fever and ague, with which she had been afflicted for eight months.

Soon after he returned to his family, one of his children, a daughter, succumbed to the dreadful disease, blank canker, having contracted it by exposure.  He had to dig her grave and make her coffin himself.  Having finished this task, he carried her about one mile in the snow two feet deep to her final resting place.

He made the first wagons for “Kinghead and Livingston” in 1850, which brought the first merchandise to Utah.   He and his family crossed the plains to Utah in 1852 in Warren Snow’s Company arriving on October 10, 1852, on his 42nd  birthday. They at once settled in Kaysville, which at the time consisted of a few scattered houses.  He proceeded to make his home on the north bank of Webb’s Creek, which is one-half mile northwest of Kaysville near what is now the State Highway.  He lived there the remainder of his life.  He homesteaded a large tract of land around his home and also acquired a great deal of land in Syracuse on which some of his grand children and great grand children live.

He, being a cattle man and a farmer, was a hard working man and accumulated considerable means, of which he was very liberal for the building of the ward and church.  He was a firm believer in the Gospel and lived a true Latter-day Saint.

James Bennett was ordained to the Priesthood to the office of a Priest in 1840; an Elder in 1842; a Seventy in 1843; and a High Priest in 1869 for Edward Phillips (who was the first settler in Kaysville).

He was a very civic and progressive minded person, in so much that he built and operated a blacksmith shop, teaching all his sons the trade. He had learned the trade of wood work and wheelwright before leaving England. He is credited with operating the first store in Kaysville which was in his home. (Ellen measure material – by fingers -and sold it).  James assisted in the organization of the Kaysville Co-Op by transferring his stock to the Co-Op, in which he was a large stockholder.  Some of his stock was exchanged for stock in the Z.C.M.I and that stock is still held by members of the family.

When the first church in Kaysville was erected, James Bennett was the largest contributor.

In physical stature, he was about average with a height of approximately five feet ten or eleven inches, and weight of about 170 pounds. As the style in the early days, he generally wore a beard which came down and under his chin with the rest of his face smooth shaven.  His features were inclined to be pointed, with a marked appearance of intelligence.  As an individual, he was very broad in his judgment and firm in his decisions, never arriving at a hasty decision.  When he said something, he meant it and demanded obedience.

Although his character was firm, he never lacked characteristics of sympathy and refinement. He was very religious and sincere in his convictions.  At the age of 70, he and his wife with their youngest daughter, Sarah Ann, drove with team and wagon in November 1880 to St. George where he and his wife did temple work for his parents and grandparents.  The St. George Temple was the only temple dedicated at the time.  It took them nine days to make the trip to St. George.

He was a hard working man, and by energy and perseverance was able to accumulate a considerable amount of property before he died.  He was the father of fourteen children, eleven of whom grew to maturity and were at his bedside during his last hours.  At the time of his death, he was grandfather to eighty-eight grandchildren, and also had thirty-two great-grandchildren.  His death occurred at 10:50 p.m. December 14, 1888 in Kaysville, Utah.  He was preceded in death just 2 years, 6 months and 24 days by his good wife, Ellen Pincock Bennett who departed this life on April 20, 1886.

They were converts who were “but the very bones and sinews, and life blood of the Church.”   They were honest, loyal, hard working, and obedient to the authority over them.  Though they died before Utah was admitted to the Union as a State (1896), they and their family were pioneer immigrants who helped establish the State of Utah.

Written on James Bennett Headstone

We miss you when the morning dawns

We miss you when the night returns

We miss you here we miss you there

Dear father, we miss you everywhere

Weep not for me my children dear

I am not dead I’m sleeping here

For you see the same must be

Prepare yourself to follow me.

Written on Ellen Pincock Bennett Headstone

I heard a voice of Jesus say

Come unto me and rest

Lay down thine weary one lay down

Thy head upon my breast

I came to Jesus as I was

Weary and worn and sad

I found in Him a resting place

And He has made me glad.

Glimpses from the Lives of James Bennett and Ellen Pincock

The life story of James Bennett began in Leyland, England, in the county of Lancashire, on October 10, 1810. (Extraction record of Leyland Parish says 1808, family record says 1810.) In a family of 14 children, James was the 5th child of Thomas Bennett and Ann Parker. He lived at home with the family until he was 23 years of age.

At the time of James’ birth, King George the Third ruled England.  We are most familiar with the sovereign as the King George of the America Revolutionary War, though at the time of James’ birth he was in his declining years and suffering from recurring bouts of manic depression which finally left him totally mad.  His son, the future King George IV, ruled at this time as regent.  The world conditions were those of confusion and conflict.  It was the time of the Napoleonic Wars which eventually led to the United States involvement in the War of 1812.  Another world condition that was altered significantly in James’ early years was the outlawing of the importation of slaves by the United States and England. In the United States, during this time, the Louisiana Purchase had made new lands available to Americans and settlers were starting the westward movement which would build for years to come. James Madison was elected President in 1808 and replaced Thomas Jefferson in 1809.

In 1820, when James Bennett was about 10 years old, things in England were changing slowly.  George the Fourth had become king in his own right and the period known as the era of good feeling, which followed the Napoleonic Wars was flowering.  Of greater significance to the Bennett family was the Industrial Revolution which would dramatically alter the lives of the laboring class.  At this time, in the United States, James Monroe began his second term as President and established his policy against further European colonization in the Americas.  The Missouri Compromise was a congressional effort to resolve the problem that would lead to the Civil War in another forty years.  The economic conditions were hard on the poor in some of the heavily populated areas of England.  The area where the Bennett’s lived in Leyland was, and to a great extent still is, rural or agricultural in nature.

There were many changes in the life of James Bennett as he grew to manhood and found his own place in the community.  In England, a new King came to power and in the United States the era of western expansion known as the Jacksonian period became firmly established.  The first railroads were built which brought new mobility to people and to their lives.  Of greater importance to James Bennett and his descendants, a boy, Joseph Smith, Jr., went to a grove of trees to ask God which church was right.  He started a chain of events which would lead to the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the United States.  Tthe Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized on April 6, 1830.

The next major event in the life of James Bennett was his marriage to Ellen Pincock on June 30, 1833 at Chorley in Lancashire, England.  Ellen was the eldest of 9 children born to John Pincock and Mary Marsden.  She was born on May 14,1816 at Leyland, Lancashire, England.  The Leyland Parish Register states that Ellen was christened June 9, 1816.  Her abode was at Euxton and her father was a shuttle maker. The young Bennett couple welcomed their first child, Ann, on December 5, 1833, but she died January 3, 7834.  The loss of a child to any family, at any time, is a tremendous trial. This surely had a saddening effect on James and Ellen and without knowledge of the Gospel; it must have been a heart breaking experience.  A son, John, born on December 14,1834 then blessed their home.  The next child was a little girl born on January 21, 1837.  They gave her the name of Mary.

In the United States, the year of 1837 was one of trial and tribulation for the newly organized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Apostasy had broken into the ranks and the feeling of opposition was so strong that people were in danger if they spoke in defense of the Church.  It was evident that something must be done for the salvation of the Church.  The answer came through the word of the Lord to the Prophet, Joseph Smith.  On Sunday, June 4, 7837, the Prophet approached Elder Heber C. Kimball in the Kirtland Temple and whispered to him, “Brother Heber, the spirit of the Lord has whispered to me: “Let my servant Heber go to England and proclaim my Gospel, and open the door of salvation to that nation.”  Elder Kimball was that day set apart for this great work in the British Isles, which was to be the first foreign mission of the Church.  While the First Presidency was setting Elder Kimball apart, Orson Hyde of the Council of the Twelve came in.  After hearing the blessing given to Brother Kimball, Orson asked if he might also have the privilege of assisting in that work.  His offering was accepted and he was also set apart for the British labor.  On June 13,1837, Elder Kimball and Elder Hyde, in company with Elder Willard Richards and Elder Joseph Fielding left Kirtland, Ohio for their mission to the British Isles.

The inspiration of the Prophet to send elders to Great Britain for the salvation of the Church was proven. In the few months that followed, members were baptized by the thousands. Many of them immigrated and became stalwarts in the Church.  Among these stalwarts were James and Ellen Bennett.  After hearing the Gospel, they were converted to the truthfulness of its message. On December 29,1837, they were baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at Euxton, Lancashire, England by Heber C. Kimball and confirmed members by Orson Hyde. At the age of 30, James was ordained a priest on July 9, 1840. “The Spirit of Gathering with the Saints in Zion” took possession of the Bennett family, so they left England where their forefathers had lived for generations. At this time they had 4 living children. Thomas had joined the family on January 7 , 1839 and Hannah on January 10, 1841. James was 31 years old now and Ellen was 25. The oldest child was 7 years of age and the youngest was just short of one month. Leaving friends and loved ones behind, this young couple left with their little brood to set sail on February 1,1847 on the good ship “Sheffield”. Ellen’s parents and all of her brother and sisters, except Ann, were on the same ship. Sailing in the dead of winter, this was the third organized company of emigrants to leave from Liverpool for the United States of America. This party of Saints was under the direction of President Hyrum Clark. Can you imagine the cold, miserable conditions they had to endure for weeks on a wintry, storm tossed sea in a sailboat? The following is a record of that journey.

Journal History

Sunday, February 7, 1841: The ship Sheffield sailed from Liverpool with 235 Saints for Nauvoo. In the Millennial Star, Volume 1 page 268,the following is written:

“The emigrants were from Preston, Manchester, and the other towns of England and were destined for the colonies of the saints in the State of Illinois and the Territory of Iowa. Among the company were a large proportion of the industrious poor, who were upon the point of starvation in this land (England), or who were working like slaves to procure a very scanty substance. By the kindness of their brethren, they were enabled to escape worse than Egyptian bondage and go to a country where they can by their industry obtain an inheritance and enjoy plenty for themselves and their children.”

“After a passage of fifty-one days, the company landed in New Orleans, Elder Clark made a contract with a steamer to carry the company to St. Louis for two dollars and fifty cents each, including baggage. From St. Louis to Nauvoo, they secured passage on “The Goddess of Liberty” for one dollar each. About thirty of the emigrants who had been disaffected through false reports, tarried at St. Louis. The bulk of the company landed in Nauvoo, April 18, 1841, about eleven o’clock in the evening.  Notwithstanding the late hour, quite a number of the Brethren stood on the shore to welcome these new arrivals from the old world.”

Elder Alexander Neibaur, one of the immigrating Saints crossing the Atlantic in the “Sheffield” gives the following detailed account of the journey from Liverpool to Nauvoo. Friday, February 5, 1841: I left Preston, Lancashire, England in company with my wife and three children and a number of others for Liverpool, to embark on the ship “Sheffield” bound for New Orleans. We left Preston by the 8:20 o’clock train and reached Liverpool about 10:30. We went directly on board the ship where we found a number of emigrants, all in an uproar, with luggage, men, women and children all huddled together. A number of us went to the Hargreaver Railway Office for our luggage, which we got on board. Next we obtained something to eat from the cook shop for our families; it was very cold and we went to bed at dark.

Saturday, February 6, 1841: As soon as daylight began to grow all became alive again. The passengers began to stir and while some of them went out to purchase provisions, I visited a friend of mine.  About dark, Elders Brigham Young, John Taylor, and Willard Richards arrived with Elder Hiram Clark, the President of the company, came on board again. The emigrants were called to order and addressed by President Young. The company was ordered to be boarded by 8:00 o’clock on Sunday morning and those who had not paid their passage in full were directed to leave the ship. Some of the emigrants were forced to borrow money while others pawned their clothes to obtain the necessary means.

Sunday, February 7, 1841: About 8:00 o’clock a.m. Elders Brigham Young, John Taylor, and Willard Richards in company with Hiram Clark came on board again. Everything was now in an uproar; the Captain R.K. Porter, a very nice little man, gave his orders. About 10:00 o’clock, the ship lifted anchor and set sail. The shore being lined with spectators, a fine breeze soon carried us down the river Mersey; soon we were out of sight of Liverpool. Many of the company now made for their berths, feeling somewhat uncomfortable, a brisk wind continued all night.

Monday, February 8, 1841: Provisions were delivered to the company, but most of the emigrants remained in their berths during the day being sea sick.

Tuesday, February 9, 1841: The wind blew briskly. About 6:00 o’clock it changed from northeast to southwest. It blew fresh all night.

Wednesday, February 10, 1841: A sloop was set in sight with her bulwarks chattered. They have been inquiring about her whereabouts, having been at sea eleven days and during the last five days being driven from Lands End. She was bound from Liverpool to London. During the day, a fine American vessel enroute from New Orleans to Liverpool was seen.

Thursday, February 11, 1841: A number of the passengers who had been sick showed up. Toward evening, one of the passengers from Preston’ a woman, was taken dangerously ill. She died about 12:00 o’clock in the night.

Friday, February 12, 1841: Several of the ships crew came in to look at the corpse of the dead sister, as it was the first death that had ever occurred on the “Sheffield”. One of our own company sewed the body up in a sheet and the burial took place at 2:00 o’clock in the afternoon. About 6:00 o’clock p.m., a heavy head wind increasing almost to hurricane came up. Elder Hiram Clark was just making some remarks about the burial of  our beloved sister, when the ship took to heaving most tremendously, rolling about pans, kettles and every loose article. Everything was in an uproar; women were shrieking, children crying, and all hastening to their berths. A strong head wind continued all night.

Saturday, February 13, 1841: A fresh head wind continued, accompanied by rain.

Sunday, February 14, 1841: Prayer meeting was held on board in evening.

Monday, February 15, 1841: Fine weather, the ship took its proper course. The emigrants were cheerful and merry. Heavy squalls during the day.

Tuesday, February 16, 1841: The wind continued favorable. It changed direction towards evening and blew fresh all night.

Wednesday, February 17, 1841: Wind favorable. For neglecting his duty, the cook got 24 lashes, having partaken of too much liquor. Towards evening, the wind changed to a head wind and the ship heaved heavily all night.

Thursday, February 18, 1841: Fine morning; weather favorable all day. The night was calm.

Friday, February 19, 1841: A southeast wind continued all day.

Saturday, February 20, 1841: We were becalmed all day. Some uneasiness existed respecting the fire; the head winds continued.

Sunday, February 2l, 1841: Fine morning, contrary wind, calm towards 11:00 o’clock. The whole company was ordered on deck by Elder Clark and a meeting was held. Elders Walmsely, Riley, and Hiram Clark addressed the Saints, and the sacrament was administered. Some of the ships’ crew threw darts after fish, a ship was in sight.

Monday, February 22, 1841: The day was calm and foggy. The wind changed to a favorable one and continued thus all night.

Tuesday, February 23, 1841: The wind was favorable. Our speed after hoisting the top sail was 9 ½ knots an hour.  Two of the company were chosen to superintend the fire.  The wind continued favorable all night with little rain.

Wednesday, February 24, 1841: The weather continued favorable. A child scalded its foot. Some of the passengers murmured because of the high prices of provisions.

Thursday, February 25, 1841: The weather continued fine, a heavy rain at night.

Friday, February 26, 1841: The weather continued fine, a vessel in sight.

Saturday, February 27, 1841: A rainy morning, the wind changed toward noon and became favorable. One lady was partly scalded.

Sunday, February 28, 1841: A fine morning, warm sunshine. After breakfast, the Saints assembled in meeting which was addressed by Edward Marlin and Miles Romney, the sacrament was also administered and Hiram Clark presided.

Monday, March 1, 1841: The weather continued fine, no wind; but a few showers. The gallant mast was hoisted and sky sail set.

Monday, March 2,784I: The weather continued fine, no wind. The sun came out hot.

Wednesday, March 3, 1841 : The sun shone hot, only a little breeze, ship in sight at a distance.

Thursday, March 4, 1847: This day was warmer than any summer day in England. The ship in sight drew near, with her flag at half mast. Our Captain seeing her through the glass thought her in distress and ordered our sails down to wait for her. We tacked about till 4 o’clock p.m., but as she came near the Captain discovered his mistake, the ship being an American vessel, flying her colors in honor of the new President, General Harrison taking the chair.

Friday, March 5, 1841: Fine morning and no wind, the ship steering south southeast. Proctor’s child died. The Captain remarked to Brother Miles Romney that there must be some unfortunate Jonah on board, as a calm like the one we experienced was a strange thing in this latitude. Elder Clark, being charged with behaving himself unseeingly to Sister Maria Hardman and other females, some hard words passed between the parties. This is the first day my wife missed being seasick.

Saturday, March 6, 1847: The weather continued fine and calm. Toward evening a vessel came in sight in the distance, a northeast breeze sprang up.

Sunday, March 7, 1841: Religious services were held on board, commencing at 10 o’clock a.m. The Captain had been kind enough to order a sail spread for a covering against the sun which made it very comfortable. John Hodgson and Francis Clark preached on the principles of righteousness and unrighteousness, also alluding to the case of Elder Clark. The sacrament was also administered, but prior to that the Saints were admonished to become reconciled to each other if any ill feelings existed. Elder Clark asked forgiveness for anything that he might have done that had given offence. Many shed tears at his humility. ln the afternoon, a fresh breeze sprang up making the seamen busy with the sails.

Monday, March 8, 1841: A brisk wind continued and the ship made from 8 to 9 knots an hour. The day was hot and there was rain at night.

Tuesday, March 9, 1841: The wind continued favorable and the ship took her right course; a ship was sighted ahead about 16 miles.

Wednesday, March 10, 1841: The weather continued fine. We passed the ship seen the day before. Robert Borscough’s infant died about 5 o’clock.

Thursday, March 11, 1841: Fine day, little rain. A ship in sight, at 11 o’clock a.m. The child that died the day before was committed to the waves.

Friday, March 12, 1841: A fine day with contrary winds.

Saturday, March 13, 1841: The weather continued fine.

Sunday, March 14, 1841: About 8 o’clock a.m., Dissay Island was discernable at a distance southward. At 11 o’clock, we were near the Island. A public meeting was held commencing at 12 o’clock noon. Richard Whitnall T. Walmsley preached and the sacrament was administered. The Island of San Dominick was visible about 2 o’clock p.m. We passed it the following night.

Monday, March 15, 1841: Early in the morning, St. Christopher was seen to the north of us. The sailors commenced to paint the ship on the outside. This is the first day that my wife moved about the fire. Some uneasiness existed among the sailors, because the first mate had charged the crew with incapability as seamen.

Tuesday, March 16, 1841. Fine breeze and the ship made good headway.

Wednesday, March 17, 1847: Another fine day. In the forenoon as the mate gave the sailors orders about the painting, one of the men struck at him three times. The Captain came up with handcuffs to put on the offender, but as the man offered resistance, the Captain went to the cabin to fetch a sword, saying “that he was determined to support his authority, and any of the men resisting him, would be split in two, if he had strength in his arm.” The offender went down to his place and refused to come up. The Captain then said that he would not hurt the head of any man unless he was forced to do so. He further remarked to the passengers that the ship was in a state of mutiny and advised them to look out for their wives and children, as their lives were in danger. He then went to the cabin and called for Brother Clark, who came out, and called the passengers on the after deck. He said “the Captain wishes some to come forth as volunteers to stand by him in securing the offender.” Hiram Clark said he was willing to take up arms. Richard Whitnell, Thomas Walmsley, James Bennett, John Hardman, and William Gour also volunteered. All six of them went up to the captain’s cabin, when six stands of arms were brought out, loaded and given to them. The armed men then went to the men’s cabin and the Captain ordered the men to come to the quarter deck, repeating what he had formerly told them, and said it would be better for the men to obey orders and for the offender to give up peaceably. The offender then gave himself up, when handcuffs were placed upon him and he was ordered to the long boat which served as a place of confinement. Thus, order was restored, but a number of the passengers found fault with the parties who had taken up arms.

Thursday, March 18, 1841: Fine day, but squally. Mrs. Whitnell gave birth to a child.

Friday, March 19, 1841: Fine morning, but toward 9 o’clock a.m., there was a heavy squall and the wind turned from southeast to northwest. In the afternoon, we had a head wind and the sea rolled heavy. The Island of St. Domingo was seen to the northwest.

Saturday, March 20, 1841: The day was squally and wind blew from several directions during the day. As a brig came in sight, close enough to be spoken to, her beam ends dipping in the water, she was the “Jane of Halifax”, bound for Jamaica. An alarm of fire was given about 4:30 in the afternoon and many of the passengers and crew hastened to the deck, a half dressed woman came running toward the forecastle. Some of the passengers were crying, others almost fainting thinking the ship was on fire. Some came running with buckets and pans of water, but it was soon discovered that there was no danger. The alarm was started by the brandy cask catching fire as Elder Clark was drawing some spirits wanting to see how much there was, and as the accident happened a man by the name of George Scales, who endeavored to put out the fire had his face very badly burned. At night, the ship was opposite Jamaica.

Sunday, March 2l, 1841: We were sailing close to the shores of Jamaica and had a very fine view of some coffee plantations. A meeting was held in the forenoon, Miles Hodson preached, followed by Robert Borscough and Hiram Clark. The sacrament was also administered.

Monday, March 22, 1841: It was a fine day. Miles Hodson’s wife gave birth to a boy.  We exchanged signals with the ship “Julius” of Plymouth en route from Rio de Janerio to New Orleans.

Tuesday, March 23, 1841: The day was fine but almost calm. A steamer was seen in the afternoon when something resembling trees was visible. It’s believed to be the Islands called Grand Cayman and Little Cayman. Two ships were seen ahead. In the evening the mate caught a dolphin four feet ten inches long.

Wednesday, March 24, 1841: Another fine day, we passed the two ships which we had seen the day before. The mate caught another dolphin.

Thursday, March 25, 1841: We passed the Island of Cuba (Cape San Antonio) at night.

Friday, March 26, 1841: We enjoyed another fine and warm day, entered the Gulf of Mexico and began to divide the provisions. The mate caught another dolphin.

Saturday, March 27, 1841: Considerable uneasiness existed among the passengers because of the cost of provisions.

Sunday, March 28, 1841: The anchor chain was brought out. Preparations for anchoring. The remainder of the provisions was divided. Toward evening, a brisk wind sprang up.

Monday, March 29, 1841: Fine day. In the forenoon two streamers met us, one of which brought us a pilot, which we took on board. One of the steamers took us in tow and brought us safely over the bar. We cast anchor about two o’clock p.m. The government officers came on board. After continuing the voyage, we entered the mouth of the Mississippi, in grand style. The majestic river impressed us. We passed Ft. Jackson about 10 o’clock at night.

Tuesday, March 30, 1841: Fine frosty morning, we passed the English town and saw many fine plantations on which Negroes were at work. About 3 o’clock we passed the barracks and cast anchor about 4 o’clock in the afternoon. As soon as the ship was fastened, Richard Whitnell, I and a number of others went on shore, and a number of men came on board our ship. Several of the passengers purchased provisions. Many strangers being on board in the evening we appointed a strong guard.

Wednesday, March 31, 1841 : Fine frosty morning. The change of weather was remarkable, as we during the last four weeks had suffered so severely with the heat; now many complained about the cold. The day was spent by the passengers going into the city, making purchases, and taking in the sights. We found provisions and everything else high priced in New Orleans. Elder Clark and the Captain having visited the Custom’s House brought permits for the passengers to pass through.

Thursday, April 1, 1841: We experienced heavy rains during the day, accompanied by thunder and lightning. There was no fire on board and we had no breakfast. At 9 o’clock a.m., all the heads of families went to the Custom House to get permits signed. An hour later, the Custom Officers came on board to inspect the luggage; all was now in an uproar, everyone, hastening to secure their luggage, while the rain came down in torrents.  About 6 o’clock p.m., the luggage and passengers had all been brought on board the steamer “Moravian,” bound for Quincy. That steamer immediately got up steam, preparing for the journey up the river. Having had nothing to eat all day, the passengers commenced preparing for cooking. About 9 o’clock, the mate came around to order our sleeping places. We had iron rails for bedsteads, all being huddled together, some slept in hammocks, others were forced to sit up all night having no place to lie down. In other instances, some 6 or 7 slept together in the same berth. The rain continued all day and night.

Friday, April 12, 1841: Early in the morning, the passengers were all astir, a number of them going on shore to make purchases. Three or four of the brethren from Nauvoo came on board. About 2 o’clock in the afternoon, the steamer was loosened from her mooring and journey up the river commenced. Soon New Orleans was out of sight, the day being foggy. The day passed pleasantly. As we proceeded up the river, many fine houses and gardens presented themselves to our view. About 7 o’clock p.m., wood was taken in. A long snake about four feet long was killed. At 11 o’clock, wood was taken in again.

Saturday, April 3, 1841: The morning was rainy with thunder and lightning. We passed a fine settlement called Donaldson’s Villa. We also passed the town of Plaquemine, a neat little settlement situated close to the Plaquemine River, about 150 miles up the Mississippi from the Gulf of Mexico. About 8 o’clock at night, the weather being very foggy, we stopped to take in wood. Several Negroes came on board. Some of them with vegetables, eggs, apples, pies, etc. A fire was kindled on shore.

Sunday, April 4, 1841: The day was fine. We stopped to take in wood twice in the forenoon. At 6 o’clock, we passed Adam, a neat little tow, situated on the right bank under a hill.

Monday, April 5, 1841: Another fine day. We passed Natchez about 6 o’clock; this is a neat town where we took in wood. At 7 o’clock, we passed Rodney, a small town on the right bank of the river, and Grand Gulf on the left side; a very neat little town.

Tuesday, April 6, 1841: The day was fine. About 6 o’clock we landed at Vicksburg, an imposing town built upon rising ground, having a court house standing upon a hill, a number of forts stood upon the banks. One of the company killed a serpent two yards long.

Wednesday, April 7,1841: The weather continued fine. We stopped twice to take in wood. Negroes came on board with eggs etc. for sale.

Thursday, April 8, 1841: Continuing our journey up the river, we passed several fine plantations, and took in wood at 7 o’clock. In the evening, passengers came running from the fore deck hastening to the top crying that the boat was sinking, some of the crew carrying buckets for pumps; the boat having been snagged. The mate hastened with a lantern into the hold to ascertain if there was any damage done, but it was soon known that there was no danger. At 8 o’clock in the evening, we landed at the town called Helena (in Arkansas), and bought some provisions. David Harrison fell overboard, but was saved by a bucket being thrown out to him.

Friday, April 9, 1841: Another fine day. we took wood in as usual and passed Ft. Pickering, a new town on the east side of the river. Two miles farther up the river is Memphis, a neat little town situated on a hill. Here we went ashore; the ship unloaded some salt and remained at that place about two hours. The following night, we were exposed to a terrific thunder storm which shook the boat and frightened Captain, crew and passengers almost out of their wits. Sparks of fire were flying about in the steerage, and many of the passengers were alarmed by the fear of fire. The Captain at length gave order to stop the engine and make for the land until daylight appeared. The cook’s window was blown out of the kitchen and all the windows in the wheel house were also broken. It was a most terrifying storm.

Saturday, April 10, 1841 : we experienced a cool morning. During the day, we passed Randolph, a town on the east side of the river.

Sunday, April 11, 1841: The day was quite cold and many of us found it advisable to put our winter clothes on.

Monday, April 12, 1841: The weather continued cold as we journeyed up the river.

Tuesday, April 13, 1841 : This was a fine sunny morning. Four passengers landed at Cairo, an English town where Mr. and Mrs. Gregson left the Mississippi for Cincinnati. One of the passengers, a young man by the name of Harrison, was taken accused of murder. Mr. Harrison, the president of the United States, died. At night, we passed Cape Girardeau, a neat town on the left in the State of Missouri.

Wednesday, April 14, 1841: We passed a large rock in the midst of the river. The hills were high on the left bank.

Thursday, April 15, 1841: The weather was fine. We passed many delightful places and some mills for the manufacture of shot. At length, St. Louis presented itself to our view.  We noticed particularly two large churches with spires and one building, a hotel called the American Hotel, ranging above the rest. We reached the city about 12 o’clock noon.  St. Louis is truly a pleasant place. Soon after anchoring, confusion reigned on board.  Merchant clerks came to make inquiries for letters for their houses and drivers came with their whips waiting to carry luggage, but the chief mate of the “Moravian” gave orders for none of these to mingle with the passengers. Negroes also presented themselves for business and boys came with apples, hardware, jewelry, eggs, etc. Nearly all the passengers went on shore. One sister from Preston, who had left England the summer before, having heard that a boat had arrived with passengers from England, came on board. It was a source of great rejoicing for many to meet with an old acquaintance in a foreign and distant land. She invited many of the sisters to her habitation, her husband, a mechanic being employed in St. Louis. In the course of the day, many of the passengers hastened to the various stores to purchase provisions and other articles. A boat for the upper trade was chartered to carry us to our destination and about 3 o’clock p.m., the “Goddess of Liberty”, a fine new build boat came along, (400 tons and drawing 2 feet 9 inches of water). Soon our luggage was transferred form the “Moravian” into the “Goddess of Liberty.” All was confusion and bustle and the passengers were crowded together worse than ever. Berths were prepared for us, but as there was not room for more than half the passengers, many were forced to sit up during the night which was very cold. About 20 of our company went on shore to remain and many engaged for various employments.

Friday, April 16, 1841: We enjoyed a delightful spring morning; preparations were made for starting up the river, the boat taking in her cargo at 11 o’clock. The fire was kindled at 1 o’clock p.m., the engines were in motion, and we continued our journey up the Mississippi in fine style. On the way, we passed a number of fine villages and at 3 o’clock; we came to Alton, a thriving little town with tow churches with spires and another place of worship. The town was beautifully situated on a hill. We also noticed the State Prison, a building of white limestone. We stopped at this interesting place a few minutes only and then continued the journey after taking in wood. A thunder storm in the evening.

Saturday, April 17, 1841: Continuing our journey during the rainy day, we reached Hannibal, a pretty little town on the left bank of the river at 11 o’clock. Here we discharged some goods. We also landed at Louisiana, Missouri; Quincy, Illinois; LaGrange Missouri; and finally reached Warsaw, Illinois in the right bank of the river at the foot of the rapids of the Mississippi. At Keokuk opposite Warsaw, where we met some of those who had emigrated from England before. On our arrival at Keokuk, the Captain ascertained that he could go no further up the Mississippi, and therefore we engaged a keel boat to take us up with the first steamboat that was coming up. All goods were now discharged, the boat being cleared.

Sunday, April 18, 1841: The morning was fine, but during the day it rained. Elder Clark, who had gone ahead of the company to Nauvoo and returned in company with his wife and daughter. A steamboat, “The Otter”, came along side and carried us up to Nauvoo, the place of our destination, and here all the goods belonging to the company were discharged. A number of the brethren were there ready to receive us, and they kindly offered us their houses. Many of the passengers were taken to a large stone building belonging to one of the brethren. I and Wm (?) together with some others kept up a large fire all night and stayed with our luggage. Some of the brethren who had arrived here before us kept us company during the night.

Monday, April 1 9, 1841: Early in the morning, a number of the brethren came to inquire whether all of us had obtained habitation. We all were made comfortable.

James Bennett worked for three years on the Nauvoo Temple. He was ordained an Elder in 1842, and a Seventy in 1 843, as a member of the 10th Quorum. This family made Nauvoo, the City Beautiful, their home until 1846. On January 31,1846, they took out their endowments in the Nauvoo Temple. Children were not sealed to parents in that temple, so their children were not sealed to them at that time. Another son, George, was born March 14, 1843 at Augusta and a daughter, Ellen, joined them July 21,1845 in Nauvoo. Two months later, Ellen’s mother, Mary Pincock, died of cholera on September 22 and her father, John Pincock, died of sunstroke on October 1. They were buried in Nauvoo.

James and his family passed through the troubles and privations of Nauvoo with the other Saints. Because of persecutions and mob violence, the entire Church membership began the costly and historical exodus of 1846. Costly because they were forced to leave all their earthly possessions behind.

James Bennett and his family crossed the Mississippi River on the ice, in the dead of winter, in 1846. They headed west and trailed almost trackless prairies to Mosquito Creek, east of Bluff City, Iowa. Bluff City is now called Council Bluffs. They remained in the area for several years. At one time, the father left his family, almost without shelter, to get provisions for them. He took with him almost everything they had to trade for bread. His wife was sick with fever and ague, with which she had been afflicted for 8 months.  His six children at this time were all under the age of thirteen. Soon after his return, his six year old daughter, Hannah, succumbed to the dreaded disease, Black Canker, on February 17,1847. She had contracted it by exposure. This was the month old baby they had brought from England. The heartbroken father handmade her coffin.  Then he carried her and the small casket to the burial ground a mile away, walking through two feet of snow. Here he dug the grave himself. This was a cold, bitter, wintry scene which many of our pioneer ancestors were called upon to experience. Can you see in your mind’s eye how difficult it would be to dig even a small grave in frozen ground covered with two feet of snow? Then at night, to hear the howling wolves and know that many of those graves would be invaded, opened and desecrated by the wild, hungry animals must have brought anguish and total heartache to those weary, persecuted people.  With faith in God and a testimony of the gospel, they found the strength to overcome each trial and tribulation and the courage to face each new day.

While at Mosquito Creek, on May 5, 1848, a new baby girl was born to this couple. They named her Alice. She would later become the wife of Hyrum Smith King. Soon after her birth, they settled in Carterville where James Parker Bennett was born in the winter time on February 10, 1850. Elizabeth was also born at Carterville on a spring day, April 15, 1852.

In England, James Bennett was a wheelwright and woodworker by trade. During his stay in Carterville, 1850 to 1852, he made wagons for Kinghead and Livingston. These wagons brought the first merchandise to Utah. In 1852, the Bennett family crossed the plains to Utah in Warren Snow’s Company. The caravan was composed of covered wagons drawn by ox teams. They arrived in Salt Lake City on the 42nd birthday of James and went directly from there to Kays Settlement which was later named Kaysville. At that time, it consisted of only a few scattered pioneer homes. Here the father erected for his family a two room home made of pine logs. The roof was thatched and covered with earth. The floor was also of earth and an open fireplace was built in one end of the cabin for cooking and heating in the winter months.

In this early Utah settlement, four more children joined the family. A son named William Henry was born January 17, 1854; the Charlotte Isabel whose birth date was December  7, 1855 and Martha Jane who came on October 12, 1858. The last little girl, Sarah Ann, was born November 22, 1862. Two years later, on February 17, 1864, the “Grim Reaper” made another visit to the Bennett family and claimed a third little girl, Charlotte Isabell. She was nine years old. Again, this couple and their children had to say “Thy will be done” and muster up the courage to face life, look only forward, and thank God for all the blessings they had received.

In 1856, James was one of the six men from Kays Ward who took teams and wagons to aid in the rescue of the Willie and Martin Handcart Companies who were stranded in the snow covered mountains of western Wyoming. James later built a two story brick house for his family the vicinity of Kays Creek, just north of Kaysville, on the west side of the road. Here his family grew up.

In 1880, at the age of 70, James, with his wife and youngest daughter, Sarah Ann, traveled nine days with team and wagon to the St. George Temple, where on November 12,the girl received her endowments. They also did temple work for their dead relatives. James and Ellen had been sealed for time and eternity on November 22, 1855 in the Endowment House by President Brigham Young.  The St. George Temple records show that on November 12, 1880, James was married and sealed to Mary Pincock. She was a sister to Ellen and had died unmarried.  Ellen stood in as proxy for her sister. James also had another woman sealed to him that day. Her name was Ellen Baxendel and she had also died. We know nothing about her.

These facts have been unknown to many of the Bennett descendants. James was a hard working man and accumulated considerable property and means, of which he gave very liberally to the up building of the ward and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. When the first church in Kaysville was erected, James was the largest contributor. He was a very progressive and civic minded person, in so much that he built an operated a blacksmith shop, teaching all of his sons the trade. It has been said that James opened the first store in Kaysville, which his wife and daughters operated out of their home. They used the fingertip to nose method to measure yard goods. The family operated this store until the Kaysville Co-op opened. James assisted in the organization of the co-op by transferring his stock to the co-op, in which he was a large stockholder. Some of his stock was exchanged for stock in the Z.C.M.I.

Ellen not only worked at the store but was a midwife as well. An accurate count of her deliveries is not known, but it is said that she brought more than 500 babies into the world. She probably traveled by horse and buggy to assist those women. On cold winter nights or hot summer days, she left her home and family to aid women in need, thus demonstrating her compassion for others.

In physical stature, James was about average height at approximately five feet ten or eleven inches and weighing about 170 pounds. As was the style in the early days, he generally wore a beard which came down and under his chin with the rest of his face clean shaven. His features were inclined to be pointed, with a marked appearance of intelligence. As an individual, he was very broad in his judgment and firm in his decisions, never arriving at a hasty decision. When he said something, he meant it and demanded obedience. Although his character was firm, he never lacked the attributes of sympathy and refinement. He was very religious and sincere in his convictions.

Ellen and James were converts who were very honest, loyal, hard working people. They were obedient to the authority over them and were firm believers in the gospel teachings.

Death claimed Ellen on April 20, 1886 at Kaysville, Utah and she was buried at the Kaysville Cemetery. She had lived 69 years, 11 months, and 24 days.

Two and one half years later, James died on December 14, 1888 at 10:50 p.m. at his home in Kaysville. He died as he had lived, a true Latter-day Saint with a thought of a glorious resurrection. His death was attributed to old age and general disability. His age was 78 years, 2 months and 4 days. Of his 14 children, 11 were still living and were at his bedside during his last hours. He also had 88 grandchildren and 32 great grandchildren.

Each of us who are descendants of this couple should be very grateful for them and have a deep appreciation for our heritage. These stalwart ancestors met and endured hardships such as we can hardly imagine. Still their testimony of the gospel strengthened and grew. They set a great example for us in serving their God and making this a better land for their descendants to live in. May we ever strive to be worthy of the blessings that are ours. Only in this way can we thank them for the sacrifices, perseverance and determination they displayed in coming to a new land where the Saints were gathering to serve the Lord.

As an addition to this history, I would like to present the following quotes from the book “Route from Liverpool to Great Salt Lake Valley”.  It was edited by James Linforth and published by Franklin D. Richards in Liverpool, England


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: